January 2014 Blizzard
- As forecasters call for potentially heavy snow across New York City and Long Island tonight into Friday, National Grid field crews and support personnel are prepping in the event the weather causes damage to the region’s natural gas network.
- Winter storm watches and warnings have been issued all across metro New York, with blizzard conditions, high winds, freezing temperatures and moderate coastal flood warnings. Driving conditions could prove extremely difficult.
- National Grid will be increasing overnight staffing in the areas expected to be affected, and will have additional field and support personnel ready to address any service issues that could arise from weather damage.
- Crews are patrolling low-lying, flood-prone areas and natural gas facilities.
Support personnel are making sure that crew locations are fully stocked with equipment to repair service as needed.
- National Grid officials work proactively with communities and municipal officials throughout the region to keep them updated on preparations and provide contact and safety information that can be passed along to constituents in the event of severe damage for snow, ice and flooding.
- National Grid advises customers to be prepared as high winds, heavy snow and ice can pose a serious safety risk. With driving conditions expected to be potentially treacherous, the company also urges particular caution around any crew work location, especially where visibility might be limited by blowing snow.
- The buildup of ice and snow around or over gas meters and vents for natural gas appliances could pose a serious safety risk. Ice and snow falling from a roof can damage gas meters or service connections to customers’ homes or businesses, resulting in a gas leak.
- Ice and snow blocking vents could cause carbon monoxide (CO) to back up into a building and result in carbon monoxide poisoning for those inside.
- To avoid these dangers, National Grid advises natural gas customers to closely inspect areas around and over gas meters, service hook-ups and vents for ice and snow that could damage equipment or prevent CO from properly venting.
- National Grid advises that you take immediate action anytime you suspect a natural gas leak:
Get Out – All occupants should leave the house immediately. Do not use the telephone or light switches for any reason.
Call Us – After leaving the house and reaching a safe environment, call the National Grid 24-hour gas emergency number:
Long Island and the Rockaways – 1-800-490-0045 Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island – 718-643-4050
Stay Out – Do not return to your home until National Grid tells you it is safe.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. Depending upon the amount of carbon monoxide in the air and length of exposure, symptoms may include headaches, weakness, confusion, chest tightness, skin redness, dizziness, nausea, sleepiness, fluttering of the heart or loss of muscle control.
If you suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home, go outside immediately and breathe deeply; then call 911. If symptoms are severe, get medical attention right away.