Spring Cleaning Season is upon us!
Be sure to add these things to your spring cleaning routine to help maintain a safe home for you and your family.
Inside the Home:
- Check and clean your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Check your fire extinguishers
- Check for overloaded or damaged extension cords
- Prepare for storm related outages (make sure your flashlights and portable radios have batteries and that other supplies, such as bottled water, are stocked and available)
- Practice exit drills with your family so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency
- Properly store household chemicals and never mix cleaning agents
Outside and Around the Yard:
- Make sure your address numbers are up and visible from the street
- Clean up yard debris. Cut back dead limbs and grasses
- Maintain a clear ‘fire zone’ of 10′ around structures. Clean up leaves and debris and consider using stone or non-combustible mulches
- Check outdoor electrical outlets and other electrical appliances
- Get your grill cleaned and serviced. Check all propane tanks and lines for leaks and damage
- Keep 100′ of garden hose with an attached nozzle connected and ready for use
In the Garage or Shed:
- Clean up and properly store paints, pool and yard chemicals
- Check fuels containers for leaks and make sure they are properly stored
- Have all power equipment cleaned, serviced and readied for use
For more information, view our website, www.nfpa.org.