Snow Emergency Preparedness
Good evening, this is Port Jefferson Village Deputy Mayor Larry LaPointe.
As you probably know, the County of Suffolk is under a Winter Storm Watch as the 4th Nor’easter this season approaches Long Island. Rain and snow with Accumulations of 4-10″ and high winds with gusts up to 45 MPH are expected. Dangerous travel conditions are possible due to whiteout conditions. Roads may become impassable. Power outages are possible.
A Snow Emergency will be in effect as of 11:55pm, Tuesday March 20th. In order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the Village residents and workers during and after the storm, we are strongly advising everyone to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary! This will allow the Village plows and emergency vehicles the ability to clear the streets properly and ensure the safety of the general public.
Please be aware that the Inc. Village of Port Jefferson is prepared for this potential storm and the DPW will do its best to stay ahead of the storm and plow the roads when it is safe to do so. Village Code Enforcement Bureau will be out patrolling the Village and enforcing Public Safety. If you have an emergency please call 911. Should you need Code assistance please call them at 631-774-0066. To report a power outage call PSEG at 1-800-490-0075. For more information regarding street parking restrictions and storm management information please visit the Village Website at www.portjeff.com. Stay warm. Stay Safe. Thank you.
Please make sure you adhere to the following points:
- Parking is prohibited on Main and East Main Streets during the emergency period.
- East Broadway may be closed from High Street to Cliff Road
- Per the Village Code, all cars parked on a Snow Emergency Street should be removed from those streets.
- Store Owners and Home Owners are reminded, per the Village Code of their obligation to clear the snow off the adjoining sidewalks within 4 hours of the cessation of the snow. If there is a Fire Hydrant in front of your home, for safety reasons please make sure it is clear of any snow/ ice so the PJFD can gain easy access.
- To report an electric outage to PSEG: Call 1-800-490-0075. When reporting an outage, please use the option of providing a phone number so that PSEG can call you back with service restoration updates. For more PSEG information please refer to their web site – PSEGLINY.com
- If you are experiencing an emergency that needs the assistance of SCPD please call 911.
Please remain safe during this storm.